What is this course about?
This course helps organisations and trustees to establish clarity over the role, responsibilities, duties and mutual expectations of being on a charity board. This includes:
- The practicalities of being a trustee and working with the Chair, Chief Executive, Treasurer, etc.
- How to avoid common mistakes and make being a trustee rewarding and productive
- Good practice and how to learn from colleagues and other organisations
What will you learn?
- Recognise your organisational structure
- The roles and responsibilities of board members
- Analyse the strategic role of the board versus the management role
- The principles of good governance
- How to recognise bad practice relating to boards and develop solutions
Why is it this course relevant or important at the moment?
Over half the Charity Commission's investigations into complaints or concerns about charities completed in 2011-12 involve basic failures of trusteeship. Trustees failed to act according to their organisation's governing document, failed to manage conflicts of interest and failed to oversee fundraising and finance effectively - all basic errors that could have been avoided with basic information and understanding of trustee's roles and responsibilities.
In the current climate, "strong governance is more important than ever" for charities to manage risk and achieve their objectives. To do this, trustees need to get the basics right - not just to avoid problems, but to ensure they and their organisations get the satisfaction and leadership they want from the relationship.
Quotes from previous participants:
"Good balance of information and interaction and achieved all the aims. Well delivered with great enthusiasm!”
“Very good session, hit all the relevant points”
"Excellent quality facilitation and knowledge, really good value for money and local venue was great".
Who is the course for?
- New and existing board members or trustees
- anyone thinking about joining a board
- those who work with boards and want a new perspective
- Standard price: £94
Voscur membership is free for small organisations.
If you would like to benefit from VCSE Academy discounts and other benefits, you can register for Voscur membership today
Discounted rates for Voscur Members and Affiliates:
Voscur Members: £55 Voscur Affiliates: £77
What else do you need to know?
The type of constitution your organisation has and its legal identity e.g. Ltd company, Trust, CIC.
This course is scheduled to run online, to take part, you will need a laptop with a camera, microphone, and Wi-Fi. You won't need any other software.
You will be emailed an invitation with a link to join the online training the day before the course.
For more information about coronavirus, see https://www.voscur.org/content/covid19-service-users